This Spiced Apple Tart contains cinnamon and nutmeg spiced apples, making it a delicious and warming treat to ease those January blues! This recipe is super quick and easy. And it’s gluten free and vegan, of course.
Spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg provide tasty aromatic flavours to holiday treats. But did you know that they have incredible health benefits, too?
Cinnamon has reigned King of alternative herbal medicine for centuries. It is known for helping to control blood glucose levels, along with decreasing a person's risk for heart disease. And lets not forget Nutmeg. This spice has a variety of healing properties and can be useful for nausea and indigestion after all those holiday feasts.
Basically, this tart is delicious as it is nutritious. So if you follow this recipe, there will be no need to give up your favourite sweet treats this Winter.
For the crust:
½ cup/150grams almond flour
½ cup/135grams gluten-free rolled oats
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons coconut oil
For the apple:
1 medium apple, sliced thin
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (160ºC Fan Oven).
2. Add the almond flour, oats, maple syrup, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and mix until combined. Add the coconut oil and get messy by using your fingers to work it in. Do this until crumbs form and the mixture holds together when pressed.
3. Place into a greased 8-inch tart pan.
4. Combine apple slices, cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup in a bowl. Toss together until apple slices are equally coated. Arrange the apple slices on the tart crust – get creative!
5. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes.
ENJOY! (Although we probably don’t need to tell you that).